Delivery Driver and Farmers Market Stand Manager
Start Date: ASAP
Duration: Contract for duration of CSA (until Feb 2022) may become permanent
Hours: 2 days per week
Rate of Pay: £10/hour, staff discount and free “seconds” veg, employer pension, some cultural training
Location: Flushing, Cornwall
Accommodation: Not provided
Soul Farm has been working for 2.25 years as a market garden and is a community interest company based in Flushing, Cornwall, dedicated to “soil, soul and society”.
We tend the soil by farming using agroecological methods, which means we do our best for the environment and for the plants we work with. We avoid disturbing soil life by using no dig methods and practise intercropping to maximise space.
We regard the food we grow as soul food – food that’s integral to health and that should be accessible to all. We tend the soul by making decisions guided by our values of authenticity, abundance, equality and equity.
We tend society by connecting our community with the land and with the people growing their food so we can build trust and recognise and nurture interdependency. This also involves working towards a more just and equitable food system. Our Community Supported Agriculture veg box scheme delivers partially funded low income shares and fully funded solidarity shares to people who need them.
The farm is located just over the water from the thriving town of Falmouth and a short walk from the sea. We sell to restaurants in Falmouth and the surrounding area in addition to our CSA veg box scheme, which is expanding to 120 members weekly this May 2021 to mid Feb 2022. We are also one of the founding producers for the Food Barn Tregew, a weekly Saturday market that began in Dec 2020.
Find out more:
About the post:
The Delivery Driver and Market Stand Manager will join a relatively new company looking to expand their operation quickly this year. We are a small but thriving team working to make a difference. This is one role and involves splitting time between delivering and selling at the market. The role has a strong human-focus, particularly as it involves building face-to-face relationships with our community. They will deliver CSA boxes to our drop off locations as well as door-to-door for our solidarity boxes on Fridays (van provided). Fridays also involve preparing for the Saturday market alongside other Soul Farm staff. They will set up the stall, sell to the general public, pack down and check inventory.
Key tasks including:
- Packing the van and double checking accuracy
- Organising the delivery route using software provided
- Delivering door to door and to drop off locations
- Building doorstep relationships with our solidarity share members
- Organising kit and vegetables needed for market and produce
- Creating a visibly attractive stand
- Selling to the public in a friendly, non-pushy way
- Operating the till software
- Being Covid aware
Other tasks will include:
- Taking photos/video at market for social media
- Mucking in with other tasks like packing boxes
- Having a role within the wider Food Barn market and communicating with other traders
- Potential for overtime opportunities to help on big harvests or planting days
- Previous work in customer facing role e.g. retail or hospitality
- Commitment to equality and equity
- Enthusiastic, chatty and personable
- Willing to be flexible
- Attention to detail and diligence
- Extreme punctuality
- Works from their own initiative, self-management and motivation
- Works well as part of a collaborative team
- Full UK driving licence without points
- Fit and able to carry crates of vegetables
This position will best suit someone who:
- Has experience of a similar role, related sector or comparable organisation
- Shares Soul Farm’s values
- Has enthusiasm for the food scene and local farming
- Can recognise faces and names of regular customers
How to apply:
The closing date is 8am on Friday the 26th (extended) of February with interviews taking place by Zoom on Tuesday 2nd of March.
Please submit a CV (maximum one page), along with a cover letter (short is sweet!) or video outlining why you want to work with us and what you think you could bring to the team in terms of experience, skills and ideas.
Applications should be by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and the subject heading should be ‘Application – Driver and Market Manager’.
Thanks for your interest!